- THE CHURCH LIBRARY NEEDS YOU ~ We are looking for some members that would enjoy working on the COS Library Committee. We meet eight times during the year on the first Monday of the month. There is always much to do in the ordering of new books, processing new books and the general running of a library. Each of us takes a turn being “librarian” on Sundays to help our readers with any questions they may have. Don’t say no until you check us out. We have fun as well and would love to have you join us. Stop into the library on any Sunday morning and talk with our librarian on duty to see what you are missing by not being a “librarian” for COS. You might even find a book to sign out for your own pleasure.
- COS Library patrons reminder: Kids backpacks for your visiting young people. Are you traveling to the grandchildren? You may take a backpack with you just let us know how long you need it. Also new books in the library window and inside the library. Please tell us what you think of them by completing a Book Review, see form on the clipboard on the library desk. You could assist us in recommending a book, series, DVD, or author that you think our library patrons would enjoy. Thank you!
The Library Committee invites you to peruse room 104 in the CMC for
1. Nonfiction books such as
- books about Christ’s life
- books by favorite Christian authors such as Lucado and Yancy
- Bible commentaries
- books about various religions in addition to Christianity
- books to supplement the Sunday morning Lutheranism 102 class
- other topics
2. Reference books
3. Study materials (SM);
- creationism compared to the theory of evolution
- the Holy Spirit
- Bible study
- Amish, Amana Colonies, Mennonite, and Quaker fiction books.
All may be taken to the main library room to be checked out.
Perhaps you will remember the 1959 film Ben Hur staring Charles Heston which won 11 Academy Awards. Who could forget the chariot race. The novel by Lew Wallace was published in 1880. It became a bestseller with some considering it the most influential Christian book of the nineteenth century. As a stage play it ran for 25 years. It became a silent film in 1925 and later a TV miniseries to mention just a few of its productions. A new film production staring Jack Huston opened February 25 in Israel and is scheduled to open in the US August 20. Why wait for the film when the extraordinary novel is available in your COS Library now at F WALL.
Thanks to all for the used cell phones and ink cartridges dropped for recycling into YE OLDE CARTRIDGE & CELL PHONE CRATE in the library. They continue to provide cash for books and supplies. Since the project was started in May of ’08, it has provided $663.96 for the library in addition to church budgeted money. Additionally, the cell phones are cleared, reworked and given to those who do not have personal access to a phone and also have a high chance of needing to make 911 calls or to call an abuse center. The collection crate is on the desk in the library. Cartridges and cell phones may be dropped off at any time the church is open. Thanks for your help.
A note from the library committee about "Patron Recommended Reading"
Would you like to recommend to others a book or other item from the library that you have enjoyed? Help others know by filling out a "Patron Recommended Reading" form that can be found on the library desk. Just fill out one of the forms, place it in the book return box on the library table, and the library committee will let others know. Thank you.
NEW COS WOMEN'S BOOK CLUB: Are you interested in joining a Book Club but have hesitated because you are not sure of the "character" or "quality" of the choices of books you might have to read? Are you excited to talk and share with friends the great book you are reading? If there are enough ladies who would like to be part of a COS Book Club, please sign up in the church library or speak with a Library Team member.